TOP NEWS

Welcome to I Scream Kitchen! This is a blog to inspire you to try new dishes and make your cooking experience a pinch more fun!

Sunday 23 December 2012

Chunky Oatmeal Cookie Magic

Oatmeal cookies

Christmas time is also cookie time for me (this may or may not be linked to the arrival and welcoming of Santa with cookies and milk…) and I have 2 favourite kinds, this oatmeal kind and the soon-to-come honey cookies. These oatmeal ones are delicious and chunky and perfect for before bed with a glass of milk or for breakfast.

When I was a kid I got a recipe for those cookies and I quite liked it, so decided to make them again; however, once I started making them, I realized that I was missing a lot of the elements, so I substituted them with what I had on hand. The new cookies were amazing! So much better than the original! Unfortunately, I had forgotten what and how much of each ingredient I had used. So, for years, I was trying to remember and I believe I finally made them the way they accidentally had turned out.

I made those last week for some friends and classmates, and two girls from my class claimed that I should start selling them, as they were utterly delicious. So, if you don’t want to wait for the I-Scream-Kitchen-branded cookie line, the recipe is below!J Also, they are super easy to make if I could pull them off when I was around 8-10!

Oatmeal cookies
Oatmeal cookies recipe
(makes 18 cookies)

3/4 cup brown sugar – I used demerara
100 g/3.5 oz softened butter
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract/a couple of drops of vanilla flavouring
1 tbsp. milk
1 cup flour
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1.25 cup chunky oatmeal
½ tsp. cinnamon
100 g dried cranberries/ dried cherries/raisins
1 tsp. lemon rind

Preparation:

1. Set the oven to 180 C/ 355 F. Mix the butter and sugar well, until creamy. Then add the egg, vanilla and milk and mix until homogenous. No need to use a mixer, you can use a fork instead.

2. Slowly add the flower, baking soda, baking powder and salt, while mixing.

3. Add the oatmeal, cinnamon, dried fruit and lemon rind and mix well.

4. Put some baking paper on a baking tray (if you don’t have baking paper, butter the tray and cover with a dusting of flour) and put a tablespoonful of the mixture per cookie. Set the cookies at least 7 cm/ 3 inches away from each other, so they don’t become one big cookie. You don’t need to worry about the shape as they will start looking more like cookies rather than wet blobs as they bake.

5. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. You will probably need to bake in 2 go’s unless your oven is quite big.

If you are not a fan of the old cookie and milk combo, next recipe is a pumpkin spice latte one, that would be perfect to go with any cookies.



Would you make those at home?

0 comments: